2.04.2008

Stuck in the Middle with ... Everybody?

Apparently, I am not in the middle class. CRS (Congressional Research Service) doesn't think so, placing the top of the middle class at an income of $91K a year. On the other hand, CRS admits that, of American's polled, only 1-3% said they were upper class, leaving the rest in the middle, with incomes as high as $250K. Crazy? I think that really depends where you live.

$250K in South Florida is enough for a house and perhaps a boat. In Iowa, it might be enough for a manse and a porsche. In New York City, that's barely enough to pay the mortgage on a 2-bedroom. That's why they pay so much in New York, half in Florida, and even less in Iowa. Without a weighted COLA adjustment, these numbers are misleading.

I certainly don't have the trappings of an upper class existence. Heck, I'd argue I'm not even upper middle-class. But that might raise more eyebrows.

No comments:

ShareThis