2.14.2008

Sen. Specter, I Would Like My Money Back.

Mr. Specter, what happens if you are not satisfied with the NFL's answer regarding 'spygate'? What will you do? What, in all honesty, can you do? Will you revoke its antitrust exemption and enable another league to start up? We all watched the XFL. It wasn't very good. Will you sanction Goodell? Worse yet, will you dictate to the NFL how it must apply its rules? Worst of all, you might just trap someone in a lie and ruin their life with possible jail time all over questions I am not sure you have any place asking -- of anyone in football. I pay taxes, Mr. Specter, and I want you to refund that portion of your salary that you've wasted on this.

Oh, I get it. Waxman got to meet Clemens and you're jealous. How cute.

For those wondering about the nitty-gritty of the rules, check this out from the Sports Law Prof Blog. Basically, the NFL rule was badly drafted. It made clear that some taping was allowed during games but placed some restriction on what taping could be used "in-game". Turns out that Bill has a better argument than I thought. Well, at least until the start of the 2007 season, when the NFL sent a memo "reminding" people of the rule and specifically noting that the NFL viewed taping signals from the sideline as falling within the rule. Before that, the rule was really wide open .

No comments:

ShareThis