2.13.2008

Sports! (Hey, it ain't politics for once.)

  1. I am rarely jealous of others. I get what you have to trade to live the I-banker life (limos, helos, and 7-figure bonuses) -- crippling hours, intense risk, etc. etc. -- the executive life, the medical life, the stage life, and so on. But once in a while, when I look at the ages of football's finest, I just get that pang.

    Take Asante Samuel, 27. At my age, he is a multi-millionaire, superbowl champ (though not this year), star free agent, with cribs and wheels and cheeks and, most importantly, the chance to work out, outside, all week, only to emerge from a tunnel to fireworks, rock music, and flashbulbs of nearly 100,000 people who either love him or hate him. To run out of that tunnel just once and feel that rush would be amazing. Of course, he has football skills and is in football shape. Me? I'm, well, just me.

  2. Getting off the couch for a moment, lets move to racing. NASCAR has 3 "rookies" this year coming over from "open wheel" (Formula-1, Indy, etc. -- for those who don't know, these are the spaceship looking cars that shatter if they so much as scrape, top out 230 mph, and turn both right and left). They follow Juan Pablo Montoya, who made quite the splash last year in his rookie season. I know nobody will say it, but Juan is hands down a better driver than any man out there. Now Sam Hornish Jr., Dario Franchiti, and Jacques Villenueve are coming over. These guys are even better. I know NASCAR will resent them, but you should watch them -- see how real men drive --who knows, it might even make the sport more watchable.
  3. The plaintiff's lawyers deposing Reggie Bush walked out (SI says "fled") when his bodyguard flashed a pistol. Brian Watkins, who represents the sports marketer suing Bush for the return of loans he made to Bush's family, freaked when he saw the gun, which the bodyguard apparently has a license to carry.

    First, I agree that it is bad form to both carry and flash a weapon at a deposition. Second, I have heard a lot worse (lawyers jumping over the table to attack others, etc.). I mean, does anyone seriously believe that this was anything other than a power play? And third, Dear Brian, shut up. You just landed a ton of additional free exposure for yourself in a story that will surely make the rounds and paint your client as a victim. More important still, you now have that greatest of all lawyer assets: the best depo war story at the dinner table.

    (That said, I think it might have been a good tactic to walk out and make a lot of noise to the judge. If you thought of that BW, I commend you.)

1 comment:

Dan said...

Best driver in the world? Ahem.... Michael Shumacher. End of story.

Also, nothing will make NASCAR watchable unless they change it to F1. No matter who is driving, or what style they are driving in, left turns are boring.

Give them a real course to drive, and I might pay attention. Maybe.

ShareThis