2.25.2008

Rock Band.

Mea Culpa. I have long joked that people who spent a lot of time on Guitar Hero could have used that time to learn to play a real guitar. All the more so Rock Band. That was before I played what turned out to be one of the most immersive and entertaining games I have ever laid hands on. I can't imagine I would buy it, but color me a fan.

Oh, and one more thing: at least for the drums, it is a really valuable tool to learn geography, use of the base pedal, and general beat patterns.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't both be true? Time spent playing a game could be time spent learning a different skill, AND the game is entertaining? Entertainment is a positive thing, when taken in reasonable quantities...

Flarf said...

As someone who does play guitar (and to a lesser extent drums), I get much joy from both guitar hero and rock band... provided it's a somewhat realistic experience. The note-mapping makes a HUGE difference.
Case in point - Guitar Hero 3. It was produced by a different company than the first two, and it shows... the mapping is all over the place, and not intuitive for the way a song should be "played". In other words, it aint nearly as much fun.

ShareThis