2.20.2008

Political Tidbit

My poli posts have ebbed because the primaries are in what we might call the back straightaway of politics right now -- still fast, but way over there. Still, this morning's McPaper has an Opinion piece by Obama himself on campaign spending limits. Of note:
  1. Cui Bono? Why focus on spending limits now? I think the reference to "independent" campaign supporters is telling. I think Obama is saying to McCain and the FEC: I will hold you responsible if we see another swift boat campaign. There may be an implied threat too, "I am Obama and there will be a LOT of 'independent' money out there to support me. If you don't reign that it, neither will I."
  2. The piece is explicitly aimed at McCain. Obama is treating himself as the putative candidate. I don't know if that makes sense, but it avoids bloody infighting that'd hurt the Dems and McCain is going after both dems anyway, so why not?
  3. This is McPaper; will the readership have any idea what this means, or is this consciously aimed over their heads?

No comments:

ShareThis