5.28.2009

I Couldn't Do It If You Paid Me.

A CA court has ruled that Lifelock's practices violate fair business practices. This could sound the death knell for this company and any others like it.

The company, which famously lists its owner's social security number in its ads and dares people to try to steal his identity, places fraud watches for its clients every 90 days with various credit agencies. Fraud watches require anyone trying to open a credit line for the person in question to take additional steps to verify that the person knows and consents to the credit line. This, of course, costs financial services companies money, which led Experian to sue Lifelock. Experian claimed that Lifelock was placing Fraudwatches on accounts by posing as the consumer. I don't know more than is in the story, but it seems to me that anyone acting as my agent should be able to "pose" as me, particularly where I have given the credentials they need in order to do so.

We'll see how this plays out.

No comments:

ShareThis