7.19.2007

Travolta, As Fat As Fierstein Was Gay

I can't imagine it is a good sign when reviewers appear to giving a thumbs-up despite themselves.

The surprise may be that this “Hairspray,” stuffed with shiny showstoppers,
Kennedy-era Baltimore beehives and a heavily padded John
Travolta
in drag, is actually good.
- AO Scott.


Still, with Christopher Walken back in dance shoes (see: the video for "Weapon of Choice" by Fat Boy Slim), and someone on screen bigger than Queen Latifa (a woman coming off of her own "Gigli" in the form of "Taxi"), this might just have the right amount of "campy" needed to make it.

Of course, I miss Ricki

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Even from the previews/trailers, I could tell that Travolta was a bad choice. Why they couldn't go with Harvey Fierstein, I don't know. Quite likely that choice is what killed me wanting to see it (might still go, but lower on the "movies to see" list). No opinion on Nikki Blonsky (or whatever her name is, she's a no-name), although I can understand thinking that Marissa Jaret Winokur might be a bit old for playing a teenager (she's my age).

ShareThis