7.25.2007

The Line Between Stupidity and Genius is Blurred


You're looking at a cure for st-t-t-tutering. (That's probably unduly harsh. I have a few friends who stutter, so I know full well that it bears no relationship to intelligence -- just the impression thereof.)
What is so ingenious about this is its simplicity. It operates on the choral effect. It turns out that a stutterer will be able speak normally if speaking in harmony with others (a kind of "tag-along" effect). Solution: feed the stutterer's own words back into his/her ears via a hearing-aid-like device and modulate it so it sounds like a chorus of voices.
What amazes me is that nobody managed to come with this sooner. I mean, "duh!"

1 comment:

David said...

That's fascinating. I don't think it would help my stuttering, though: I only stutter when I attempt to read out loud an unfamiliar text.

ShareThis