8.27.2007

The Yuppiest Thing I'll Ever Do

Stupidity is commonly defined as doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. (Ignore coin-flipping for a moment)

I go into a certain yuppie java establishment with more frequency than I care to admit. I style myself a philanthropist, providing healthcare benefits to the middle upper lower middle class of folks with either perennial student loans or unforgiving job prospects.

My frustration is simple, and happened again this morning.

I begin my order... "Venti Coffee Frap.."

"Venti Coffee!"
The echoes come back, "Venti Coffee."
It rings up at $2.10.

"A Frappucino." I am repeating myself.

"Oh."

I think I am giving this guttural response too much credit by so quoting it. "What kind of Frappucino?"

I lean over the counter and smash her face into the touch display. The contours of her face have lit up half the board totalling $78.95. The blood pouring from her nose makes it hard to tell what I bought, and harder still to void out the transaction. Good thing for her that gallon tin of frothing milk lies just out of reach over the corporate teddy bears to cure hunger in Dubai, or whatever is now in vogue.

"Coffee," I respond.

"Venti Coffee Frappucino!" Another echo, and this time a look from the Barista. I get the sense I have a blood brother in this fight -- one who can reach the frothing milk. She has repeated herself. He's repeating her. We are a chorus of morons.

We act out this farce pretty much every time I order. Who is the idiot?

[ I suppose I have to disqualify any responses to the effect that I am idiot for paying $4 for coffee. Take it at face value. ]

No comments:

ShareThis