12.04.2008

Retail. Backwards.

The Cherry Blossom 10 Miler - perhaps the most beautiful 10 miler in the country - just sent me an email asking if I'd like to order merchandise for holiday delivery. Now, I am not one to wear fleece trophies of races where I have managed to finish a wopping 1,000th, but that - as it becoming a pattern here on the blog - not the reason for the post.

You see, the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler hasn't even opened for registration yet. Getting one of the 10,000 slots for this race is really hard. You basically have to be online at 8 a.m. on December 16th when reg opens and pray that your registration won't hang or fail. I had to try 10 times the first year and last year I had to send an email to race officials the next day to confirm that I had been registered. I had not, but they were kind and bumped someone - I don't know who, but I suspect it was a paper entry - to let me and several dozen others in.

Which leads me back to the email. If I won't buy shwag for a race I have run, and certainly not for a race I have not yet run, why in the name of all that is holy would I buy shwag for a race I don't even know if I'll be allowed to run?

and, in tribute to my geek-squad: /EOR

No comments:

ShareThis