9.20.2007

What do the Acropolis and My Laptop Have in Common?

Both ruins.

I attended a deposition this morning. Very cool. I had a Greek frappe and worked in a Greek law firm office. All good, so far.

The deposition ended and we stole out to the Acropolis for 2 hours before we had to hit London. The place just looms over the whole of Athens. It is most definitely a ruin, but it is nothing short of captivating. As for the rest of Athens? It is a study in the good and bad of modern Europe.

Then my laptop blew up. More correctly, it fizzled. The power cord is partially severed (no biggy) and the LCD's backlight won't come on at all. There is a faint image on the screen, but its like looking at an x-ray against a dark wall. This happened in the business lounge at the airport while I was coordinating a document production due tomorrow with an assistant in the U.S. I ended up using a public machine, installing Adobe reader illicitly, and providing advice on the fly over gChat until 5 minutes before they closed the flight. Whew. Of course, now I can't work on the flight home. Maybe I'll take it is as a vacation. Question now is: do I buy a new laptop. I love the IBM/Lenovo c60. Any recommendations?

1 comment:

David said...

Geez, what happened? Power surge?

Gangs of marauding Persians?

In any case, I'm a huge fan of Apple's Macbook pro series: they're fast, kick ass, and have really good industrial design. If you must run windows ;) then they run it in Parallels or Boot Camp often faster than on an OEM Windows box (at least, faster than on my work-Dell)...

ShareThis