4.26.2007

RSC actually got a ticket for jaywalking! I understand the public safety concern, but cracking down on this common practice is just silly - and has repeatedly been proven silly - in major cities. To review:
  • NYC tried this with $5 tix. People literally laughed at the cops. Then they got angry. The tix stopped.
  • No other major city in America gives out these tix to my knowledge. There are different cultures regarding jaywalking -- for example, it is rampant in DC, Boston, NYC, and other such old world crowded cities. On the other hand, LA, Portland, ATL, and other, newer magalopolises have a more docile populace. Of course, the roads there are wider and permit higher speeds.
I will not rant; I will ask for responsibility first and action second: DC assumes you will jaywalk. The lights are not timed for pedestrians at rush hour, but for cars. Many lights are too short, others too long. Others should simply include an "x cross" feature (I am looking at you, Farragut Square) during periods of very high congestion. Thus, to walk this city is to jaywalk this city. If MPD wants to hand out tickets, lets see a little civic planning first to fix these problems and improve pedestrian flow. Do that, and I think people will be less resentful of the ticketing. Don't, and you can expect an angry backlash.

(Brace yourselves, it's coming)

3 comments:

LuvNmuzic said...

Yep, it happened. Forget the fact that there are other more dangerous intersections, or that other people jaywalked past us as he was ticketing me. I need a little good luck already! Yeesh.

David said...

Believe me, I understand. Let me share an anecdote:

5 days after my 16th birthday, I ran across Main Street in Salt Lake City - between ZCMI and Crossroads malls. A cop was there, and he beckoned me over to him. He asked me if I had any ID, and I beamed and showed him my brand-new driver's license.

My reward? A $35 ticket, and the scornful laughter of my peers. Sheesh.

My personal complaint with jaywalking in DC is like this: there are a few intersections where pedestrians seem to completely not care about the status of the light, and will walk right in front of oncoming cars - Q street at Connecticut Ave is one of those (on the Eastern side). THAT is dangerous. Other places? Not nearly so much.

Anonymous said...

I got 'pulled over' for jaywalking in San Francisco, outside a U2 concert. The cop let me go with a warning and then zeroed in on some other unsuspecting jaywalker. He was also still there after the concert.
ggmg

ShareThis