12.13.2007

Intentionally racist, or merely an insensitive turn of phrase?

I had the following exchange after making an offer on a $500 tablet pc offered on Craigslist: (I have inverted the convo for ease of reading and I took out my name and email address. No other edits were made. The poster put her email on Craigslist, so I left it in here).

On Dec 13, 2007, at 11:07 AM, #### #### wrote:

Wondering if you'd consider a lowball offer - $300. $500 was far more than I wanted to spend.

##

On 12/13/07, Salah Salem < salahesalem@gmail.com> wrote:
What do u think
Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 13, 2007, at 2:19 PM, ##### #### wrote:
I think $300 would go a long way to pay for that iPhone.

On 12/13/07, Salah Salem <salahesalem@gmail.com > wrote:
I have an iPhone
Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 13, 2007 3:52 PM, #### ##### wrote:
Salah,

Your emails all bear a signature reading "Sent from my iPhone." I realize this is not your ideal offer, but I will leave it open nonetheless. If you are willing to go to $300 at some point, let me know.

Thank you,
####

On 12/13/07, Salah Salem <salahesalem@gmail.com> wrote:
i have someone offering 500. ur offering me 300 for a laptop that still has 80 gb hd drive, 1 gb of ram, microsoft office 2007 and centrino 1.6? office itself is 200, so go do ur research rather then trying to jew offer me.

On 12/13/07, ####### #######:
Salah, Many identical machines are on sale on ebay for the price I offered. If you wished to decline the offer, a simple "no" would have sufficed.

Intentionally racist, or an insensitive turn of phrase?
Am I right in thinking that this is more insensitive/offensive that calling an idea or action "retarded"?

3 comments:

David said...

talking about "Jewing" you down is an offensive phrase, but the worse part for me is the hideous txt2sms language he's using - I can't abide "ur" for "you are" or "your."

I'd chalk that guy up to "intentional asshole" and figure that there have to be better laptops out there...

Anonymous said...

Most definitely much more offensive. Far before the anti-semitic remark, your interlocutor is an obvious jerk. If one is uninterested in a Craigslist offer, one can simply ignore it, but he/she chose to get in your face with "what do u think." His/her need to berate you about your offer only underlines the deeply and viscerally rooted honor/shame paradigm that dominates the culture whence this individual came. The anti-Semitism is built-in, as is typical. And that's my incisive analysis.

elanit said...

I wonder if you would have left the person's name out of the email exchange, some of us would have somewhat different opinions? This person's ridiculous reaction could simply be rooted in the desire to get as much money as possible for the laptop, and the insensitive/insulting phrasing could have come from a whole host of people, with differing backgrounds, ethnicities, etc.

ShareThis